Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Grunion and Z Philosophize

On a recent trip about town...

GRUNION:  Yo, Z!  Let's hit the playground and then eat some cheese dip and ice cream.
Z: 
WordHmmm.  This fence looks locked or something.  Are we allowed in here?

GRUNION:  Totally.  Watch me lock pick this piece.
 
Z:  Doesn't this violate the social contract?
GRUNION: 
Free will, dude!
 
Z:  Free will is a myth cause our minds are made up of atoms and molecules that behave in probabilistic ways.
GRUNION: 
Dude, don't tell me you're a determinist!
 
Z:  Don't label me, bro.  I just know that I know nothing.
GRUNION:
Don't throw Socrates at me!  Besides, RUSH settled this in 1980.
Z: 
RUSH is overrated.

GRUNION: 
So you're saying that everything we do is predetermined?
Z: 
Pretty much.

GRUNION: 
Even though we just decided like five minutes ago to get cheese dip?
Z: 
Yup.


GRUNION: 
But what about when we do crazy stuff?
Z: 
What?  Like put a chip on my head like this?

GRUNION: 
Yeah!  How is that predetermined?
Z: 
Cause I was destined to put that chip on my head precisely at this time and place.

GRUNION: 
I dunno dude.  I think that fact that not deciding still indicates a choice pretty much proves free will.
Z: 
What about the recent studies in neuroscience that indicate that our brains make decisions even before we're conscious of them?
GRUNION: 
Too weird.  Makes my brain freeze.  Or maybe it's the cream.

Z: 
Face it.  You gotta just go with the flow, man.  Everything is planned out.
GRUNION: 
So why can't we just  go with the flow by eating cheese dip and ice cream every day?
Z: 
The social contract, dude.  And also parents.

GRUNION: 
Rousseau said it best, my man.  Man is born free, and is everywhere in chains.

Z: 
You said somethin' there, brother.

2 comments:

  1. Det man förlorar på gungorna tar man igen på karusellen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of Swedish fans.

    Translation of above comment:
    "what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts".

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say?