Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Crapelo Redeemed?

I reviewed a joint in Tupelo, Mississippi recently and pretty much trashed the entire town based on the whole experience. By strange luck we were back through Tupelo (formerly Crapelo) driving back from a vacation last week and it seems that they took my constructive criticism to heart and have completely fixed everything!

I'm sure the improved experience (hotel and food) had nothing to do with the fact that I actually used my brain and made a reservation at the "best" hotel in Tupelo (the Best Western PLUS Inn and Suites) and we went to a local BBQ joint instead of a crummy chain restaurant.  Either way, Tupelo is allowed for now to remain a town on my planet.

Crossroads Rib Shack has awesome BBQ.  Just want to put that out there first.  We had a sausage sampler appetizer with cheese and peppers and really good brisket.  The BBQ is on point.

Also, we had this beer from Alabama called Naked Pig, which was also really good.

But what is it with BBQ places and fries?  They usually don't have them at all, and if they do, they suck.  Such was the case with Crossroads.  This was the order of fries I received.  They were $1.65.

Double Boo.  They weren't even as good as junior high cafeteria fries.  Even the Grunion wouldn't eat them.

With our dinner, I ordered the "spicy fries" as a side, but they were equally crappy (and they are $2.50).

So, overall I would give the regular fries a 0 out of 10 and the spicy ones a 2 out of 10.

Incidentally, the Grunion refused all BBQ items and opted instead for the BIGGEST PIECE OF CAKE EVER.  After 11 hours with him in the car Amy and I didn't care and gave it to him.

He got really upset when I tried to take a few of the crumbs that were left on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?