Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Friday, August 29, 2014

The Rathskeller - WE HAVE A NEW LEADER!

On a rainy day during a recent trip to Rhode Island we decided to visit the Rathskeller in Charlestown, RI.  The place used to be a speakeasy back during prohibition, and they list their fries as the first thing on their menu so I figured they were a good bet.

It's off the beaten path for sure, but in Rhode Island that's relative cause you can cross the state diagonally by car in like 18 minutes.  During the summer they have a big tent out back for volleyball and that bean bag throw game with 20 names (baggo?  cornhole?).

And also they fry stuff out there.  Good form!

The big door.

The bar.

The dining room.  Did I mention we got there at 11:00 right when they opened?

They have all these 1920s/30s "speakeasy" type paintings on the walls.

Cool.

I ordered one of each type of fries.  I was SO EXCITED.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it sure wasn't this.

FRY NIRVANA.  I should note that I ordered the "large" regular fries, but "small" everything else.

The regular fries were fresh cut, and fried crispy and perfect.

$6.95 is kinda steep, but not when the portion will feed a whole rugby team.  My brother was disgusted (but also kinda impressed).

Regular Large Fries with kid hand for scale.

The "loaded" ones were pretty standard as far as ingredients, but those ingredients were high quality so it made a big difference.  Plus there was green stuff so I probably lost some weight while I was eating em.

The truffled pecorino fries were madness incarnate.

So good I almost ruptured my stomach trying to get more in.

And the short rib gravy fries?  More like "Giant Pile of Fries with Savory Gravy and GIANT CHUNKS of RIBS".

Can you see the steam coming off this chunk of rib?

The Grunion and Amy gave the fries a huge thumbs up.

And then the Grunion made himself sick by eating so many.

Here's some further madness.  This is what we took home.  Three giant takeout boxes.  Martini glass for scale.

And it wasn't like these boxes weren't full.

Cousin Lacy thought I was weird for liking fries so much.  She's right.

So here's the thing.  The Rathskeller has the fry thing down like four flat tires.  They make everyone else look like amateurs.  If you ever travel anywhere even close to Rhode Island, you will ruin the rest of your life if you don't go there and eat the fries.
  Regular: 10 out of 10
  Loaded:  10 out of 10
  Truffled Pecorino:  10 out of 10
  Short Rib Gravy:  10 out of 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?