Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Thursday, April 23, 2015

South by Southwest MEGA POST

When I was younger, I would always get excited about going to SXSW.  For those of you who aren't familiar with SXSW, it's a giant conference in Austin, TX where a bunch of weirdos go to showcase their arty and/or businessy stuff.  It used to be just music, but now it's film and web stuff too.

When I was working in radio, I would go down there to see all the new bands that were coming up, and the record label people would schmooze me to play their records.  Now that I work in the "interactive" world, I go there to learn stuff.  It's quite different to actually have to be "working", but whatever cause Austin has fries.  I have been to Austin before, but these places were all new to me.

Javelina
This joint is on Rainey street, which is a cool respite from the terminally disgusting 6th street travesty.  Seriously, if you are over 19 years old you do not want anything to do with 6th street.  Anyhoo, they have Green Chile Pork Cheese Fries.  NICE.  Whoa.  You can get them without queso?  Who would even think/want to do that?  I mean, cheese is in the name even!

Damn near 9 bucks is steep for some fries, but....POW!

These things are serious business.  Green chiles are not very spicy, and work really well with the shredded pork.

I'm fairly certain that the bit of heat these things have is from some stuff in the queso, which you can see clearly here.

These things are a solid 10 out of 10.  Worth every penny.  Also, Fire Eagle is awesome.

Japan Tex Dog
I was kinda hungry as we were leaving Javelina (I had to share the fries) and noticed this strange hot dog cart (some tool named Derek photo-bombed my pic).

The offerings were "unconventional" to say the least.

Hmmmm.

Uhhh....no.

I tried the "Kurobuta Terimayo".   It was nasty.  No picture.  Do not eat.  You will dishonor your family.  Also, no fries.

Max's Wine Dive
This joint is in the heart of downtown-right across the street from what was the Real World house OMG!  It's one of those places where you can see right into the kitchen.  I guess that's cool.

They have fried chicken AND WINE cause that's so Austin.  Also, Austin people love flash pictures at night in dark restaurants.

Got this cone of truffle fries for $5 cause it was happy hour.

They were pretty sweet.  The dip was good too.

They weren't the best thing ever, but for $5 they are a 10.

Salty Sow 
This place was a trip.  I mean a long trip from downtown to way North.  It's in a neighborhood even.

We sat outside even though it was about to rain cause that's what the cool kids in Austin do.  Look at this guy sitting at a huge table all alone.  He is so Austin.

Triple Fried Duck Fat Fries is a big batch of words.  Let's see what that's about.

Damn!  Looks legit!  The eggs are little weird/unnecessary but ok.

Weirdest thing ever.  These things looked awesome, but they were totally meh.

Also, the cold bearnaise(sic) made my friend throw up a few hours later.  It coulda been something else, but he ate a lot of it and a chef friend of mine said you can't just have bearnaise(sic) sitting around that is not made fresh, etc.  Suspicious bearnaise(sic) aside, $8 for these things is no bueno.  5 out of 10.

Fado Irish Pub
Let me start by saying that Fado is amazing.  A lot of joints around try to be an "authentic Irish pub", but Fado kills it.  I was too preoccupied with not getting crushed by all the other people in the place to take many pictures, but here are the happy hour fries with three dipping sauces (Curry, Guiness BBQ, and Harp Lager Cheese Sauce).

$5 for this deal at Fado during SXSW is pretty awesome.

The amount is not great, but the overall quality of the potatoes (naturally) and the sauces makes them a total value.  10 out of 10.

Buffalo Wild Wings
I got home kinda late (9:45) one night and had not had a chance to eat.  Luckily, there was a Buffalo Wild Wings next to our hotel so I decided to check it out.

Not too many cars here...

Cheese curds at 10pm?  Seems like a good idea!

Boom!  Tasty.  They weren't fries but I would give them a 10 if I ran a cheese curd blog.

The fries were not good.  I think I have relayed info on this in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?