Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Finding a Job is Hard

When I first graduated from college, I was working on a farm.  This type of labor did not suit my delicate nature and soon I was forced by the unfortunate dismissal from the position to find a "real" job.

One day as I was looking through the employment ads in the paper and circling things I was interested in (that's how they do it in the movies, right?), my friend Duke came into my room eating cereal (don't know why I remember that) and spoke words that I have repeated several times since.



Duke: What are you doing man?
Me: Looking for a job-is that my captain crunch you're eating?
Duke: Dude, that's not how you find a job.
Me: Whatever.
Duke: (Kicking newspaper away from the desk with his foot) You don't get a job like that.  You have to talk to all your friends and then they talk to people they know and eventually someone will have a job.  You gotta network man!
Me:  Uh, okay, I guess I will call everybody.



I called my friend Chrissy who said that this weird guy was starting a radio station that played alternative music and that he hung out at JR's every night and that he was looking for a morning guy (who was willing to get up at 6 am) and that I should go down to JR's and talk to him that night, etc. etc. etc.











 So Duke was right.  But.  The problem now is that then I was willing to do ANYTHING.  Now I have a specialty (business communication) AND minimum salary needs AND minimum benefits needs AND location preferences AND etc, etc, etc.  so it is a lot harder.

For these reasons, I have decided to take the advice of an old friend, Mr. Bobby McFerrin.  I will not worry, and I will be happy.  Let's see how that does for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?