Tell a Friend to Become a Follower!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Daytona Beach Trip Part One

We had a spare week, so we decided to go see the grandparents in Florida.  The Grunion tagged along cause he said he needed to "talk to someone about a thing involving some money that may or may not have been paid back in a satisfactory fashion."

Sunny Florida.  Where people have been going for hundreds of years to escape the chill of winter.  Warm breezes, perfect sunlight, gentle waves lapping the perfect white sand of (arguably) the most famous beach in the world.  Ha!  Of course it was 40 degrees the whole time we were there.  No mind!  We make our own fun!  The grandparents' condo is not exactly what you would call baby-proof.

In fact, pretty much everything in the condo is white.  Not an ideal color against a juice-toting baby.

Even the grandparents' PREHISTORIC phone is white.

After having driven 17 hours to get to Daytona, we were hungry.  The GPs suggested we go to the Inlet Harbor to have some dinner.  The Grunion was bemused by a pirate statue out front.
GRUNION:  That doesn't look like Johnny Depp at all.

GRUNION:  What kind of cut-rate joint is this?

The Inlet Harbor is an OUTSIDE deck-type restaurant/bar with live music most of the time.  Did I mention it was 40 degrees?
GRUNION:  Yo, Gramps!  What's good here?

GRANDPA GIBBY:  I don't know cause I can only eat soup.

The musical duo that was designed to completely ruin our dining experience argued before they started.
DUDE 1:  We should totally start with Margaritaville by Buffet.
DUDE 2:  No, no, no.  I think we should start with I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder.
DUDE 1:  How about we compromise and start with Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler?
DUDE 2:  Perfect!  Then I'll do a 13-minute Kenny G instrumental where I only hit every third note right on the sax.
DUDE: 1:  Let's rock!

GRUNION:  Dad, what the hell is this music?

AMY:  It's the kind you have to hear when it's free, son.

GRUNION:  They should play some Clash.  Charlie don't surf and we think he should!  Charlie don't surf and you know that it ain't no good!

GRUNION:  Seriously, these guys are stinkin up my pinapple.

GRUNION:  So....I'm gonna have to hear stuff like this for the rest of my life?   I have become depressed.

GIBBY:  It's okay, kid.  We all find a way to get by.  One day at a time.  One day at a time.

Later that night, the Grunion got drunk on sippy juice and started messing with Grandpa.

GRUNION:  Hey Gramps!  Looks like you got some kitty fur on your lip there!  Lemme see if I can rip it off!

The rest of that night, the Grunion ran around breaking things in the condo while screaming Loverboy lyrics at top volume.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?